Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Just Say "Yes!"

 
 
Many people think about going on a mission project but do not follow through with it for what are sometimes the wrong reasons. In my own life, I can look back and remember the invitations that God gave me to join Him. I am saddened that I allowed the evil one to keep me away from God’s will for my life for so many years. The Lord would speak to my heart in that still small voice, usually through a friend, brochure, or something similar. “You can go!” is what I always heard in my heart. “You need to check that out!” was another pull that I would usually dismiss. I had many excuses. See how they compare to yours:
  • I am really busy that week/month/season of life and I just don’t have time. (No time for God? Really?)
  • I am afraid to go to another country. What if they don’t like me? (This expresses a lack of love for Jesus or the things He loves. Perfect love casts out fear!)
  • I just don’t have the money. (If Jesus calls you to go, it is His job to get you there. Could there be a pride issue?)
  • I am not sure I can do what needs to be done in that culture. (“I can do all things through Christ.” Could it be a lack of faith?)
  • I am not sure I can eat the food. (He feeds the sparrows. How much more does He care for you?)
There are many more excuses that I personally have used, and even more that I have heard over the years. Satan is the deceiver and there is no end to the lies he will tell you. Who will you listen to? The call of every Christian is to reach the world with the Gospel, which means that you are to either pray and/or give to someone that is going, or go yourself. Are you going to be obedient? If you decide to be obedient, the question becomes whether you will be the one to go (and if so, where?) or the one to pray and give. Who does God want you to partner with? You don’t have to wait for someone to send you a support letter!
 
Here is the truth about going on a mission trip. Those that go usually survive! They eat, work, and get really tired. They come home and are forever changed. God has used them!! The Kingdom was impacted and enlarged because God used them. Souls will be in Heaven for eternity because God used them! Then, they can’t wait to go back.
 
We have the following mission projects that are in need of volunteers to step up and be obedient:
 
Malawi Mission Trip: July 18 - 31, 2011
Next Meeting: Saturday, May 7 @ 6:30pm at UBC
Joe Veal is in Malawi this week. His last report said that over 11,000 souls had already come to Christ! This July, Urbancrest will send a team to work with Joe. We will evangelize with him, but we will also be working at the Lighthouse project. Lighthouse is an orphanage that is supported by You-Turn Ministries. We want to minister to the orphans and set up discipleship opportunities for the children, women, men, and especially pastors. We need workers of all types to catch the vision for this work. In the future, we hope to build other orphanages and teach these new believers.

Uganda Mission Trip: June 29 - July 12, 2011
Next Meeting: Saturday, May 7 @ 6:30pm at UBC
Urbancrest has sent teams to Uganda for several years. This year we will deploy two of our own families to Uganda: the Bogans and the Whitmers. We are still in need of several people to go on this short-term trip. There is a need for volunteers who can teach and train pastors, work in schools, or teach women and children.
 
Please pray about these important opportunities. Then, say “Yes!” Come to the meeting and learn more. Is Jesus calling you to go, or give and pray?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the good word and for the encouragement for people to go. We must put excuses behind and strive for obedience to what God has called all of us to do!

    Glad to see that you are helping out in Africa!
    Jeff S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait until God opens the doors for me, my family... I see things happening already. One day I will feel that it is the time to say YES. Right now my mission is my family and getting my children where they need to be. Emi is a huge mission! For now I pray for those who are able to say yes and follow where God leads.

    ReplyDelete